God's Generals The Martyrs
TBH Book Club
In his sixth God's Generals volume, Roberts Liardon chronicles some of the great martyrs for the faith—and some of the lesser-known ones. Their inspirational testimony, acts of courage, and even seasons of doubt both encourage and point awareness toward the persecuted church of the twenty-first century.
The book includes profiles on...
1. Apostle Paul and Stephen the Faithful (c. 100 AD)
2. Polycarp of Smyrna, Justin Martyr, and Ignatius of Antioch (c. 100-175 AD)
3. Perpetua, Blandina, and Irenaeus and Fabian (c. 175-350 AD)
4. William Tyndale, John Wyclyffe, Patrick Hamilton, and John Hus (c. 1300-1530)
5. Anne Askew, John Foxe, Hugh Latimer, and Thomas Cranmer (c. 1530-1560)
6. Martyrs from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries
7. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, John and Betty Stam, and Jim Elliot (c. 1900-1950)
8. Wang Zhiming, Gaspar Makil, and Archbishop Oscar Romero (c. 1950-1990)
9. Martyrs from the twenty-first century, in regions such as the Philippines, Iraq, Libya, and Syria